I highly recommend the article Maximize Your eCommerce Profits with Cross-Selling* from the Official WooCommerce Blog*. It was written by Stephen Roe on August 9, 2018.
Key takeaways for maximizing revenue from cross-selling:
- Cross-selling has been known to increase revenue up to 35%!
- Cross-selling pitches products in addition to what the customer is already interested in.
- Up-selling suggests a more expensive version or greater quantity of the same product.
- Cross-selling type related products have similar appear to the consumer.
- Cross-selling type complementary products go directly with the primary product.
- Cross-selling type services (ex: warranty plan) can be the most profitable.
- Cross-selling type bundles are groups of products that are included together.
- Be relevant and closely related to what the customer is looking to buy.
- Sell something custom-designed to work with the primary product.
- Use persuasion techniques to deliver a compelling offer that drives sales.
- Choose products that fit the customer as best as possible.
- Don’t overwhelm people with too many recommendations.
- Highlight the benefit whenever possible.
- Provide evidence that customers are buying these products.
- Place larger accessories that cost 15-50% of the main item on the product page, and leave smaller items at 10% or below for checkout page.